USCIS Certified Translation Services

USCIS Certified TranslationWhat is the USCIS and what kind of USCIS certified translation services do you need for the purposes of going through the system?

The answer to the first question is USCIS stands for United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

The agency’s website explains its mission as follows:

“U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services administers the nation’s lawful immigration system, safeguarding its integrity and promise by efficiently and fairly adjudicating requests for immigration benefits while protecting Americans, securing the homeland, and honoring our values.”

As you enter the legal migration system to make your new home in the U.S., you will first need to obtain a Permanent Resident Card (also known as a Green Card). Possessing this card means that you are eligible to live and work permanently in the U.S. As you go through the process of obtaining that coveted card, you may need USCIS certified translations for your documents.

Order USCIS Certified Translation

USCIS Certified Translation Services: Navigate the Immigration Process Easily


The first step is finding out if you are eligible to apply for a Green Card. There are several categories under which you may be eligible to apply for Permanent Residence status.

Basic requirements for a Green Card through family

> You’re the spouse of a U.S. citizen

> You are an unmarried child of a U.S. citizen and under 21 years of age.

> You are the parent of a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years old.

Requirements for Permanent Residence as the result of employability:

You have one of several levels of preference status as an immigrant worker. This means you have:

1) Exceptional ability in science, education, athletics, business or art

2) An outstanding reputation as a researcher or professor

3) You hold the position of a multinational executive or manager (specific criteria applies)

4) Work in a field that requires an advanced degree

5) Are seeking a national interest waiver. For instance, a national interest physician waiver to work as a full-time clinician in an underserved area in the U.S.

Get a Free Qoute For USCIS Certified Translation

Special immigrant status

> You have membership in a religious denomination and are coming to the U.S. to work for a non-profit religious organization

Special immigrant juvenile (SIJ) - You have SIJ status as a minor who has been abused, neglected or abandoned by a parent

You have served in the following capacities as an Afghanistan or Iraq national:

>> Iraqi or Afghan translator for the U.S. government

>> Employment by the U.S. government on or after March 20, 2003, or for a minimum of one year

>> Employed as an Afghan with the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF)

Seeking to work as a member of the media in U.S.

You are an International organization employee or a family member or employee of NATO-6 or specified family member

Claim of refugee or asylum status

For this status you must have either been granted asylum or admitted as a refugee at least one year prior to applying.

The categories listed here are not exhaustive, for more information about ways you may qualify for Permanent Resident status, click on this instruction link for obtaining a Green Card.

Documents that may need translation services for USCIS

There are several documents you will need to have ready to process your application for Permanent Residence in the U.S.

This is a list of documentation with which you should be prepared as you seek legal entrance to the U.S. Clearly documents from outside the U.S. may need a USCIS translator.

  • Birth certificate
  • Financial documents – You will be required to meet specific income requirements, depending upon the size of your household. If some of your proof of income is foreign-based, this may need USCIS translation.
  • Military records – If you have served in the military for any country outside the United States, you will need to have these handy.
  • Alternative documents – If you are missing any required documentation, you can submit a notarized personal affidavit that explains why you do not have the particular document necessary. If you have not yet learned fluent English, you will be completing such an affidavit in your native language. So you will most likely need a translation for the USCIS.
  • Divorce or death records – If you were married before migrating to the U.S. for marriage to a current U.S. citizen, you will need documentation certifying that your marriage to the former spouse has been dissolved or your former spouse has died.
  • Academic and employment records – If you are coming to the U.S. to contribute your talents in employment as a result of advanced degrees or specialized abilities, you will need to submit all your academic and employment records.
  • Police clearance certificate – This should come from the country where you have lived since 16 years of age.

So, as you prepare to apply for a Green Card in the U.S., make sure that any foreign documentation you need to successfully complete the process has gone through a USCIS certified translation to streamline the process as much as possible.

The Word Point stands ready to translate all your documents to help you through the process of obtaining permanent residence status in the U.S.

Additional source: